liquid

Monday, August 28, 2006

Hazy Past

liquid's YTD: $7040.29

Last month's Vegas trip, in brief:

1. I run good at NL HE. But I don't like it.

2. I suck at O/8. But I keep playing.

This disconnect between how well I run and how much I enjoy the game has bled into my online play too. More on that in a later entry.

As for details, I've apparently waited too long to write this trip report, because here's me right now: [blank stare]. In retrospect it's just one big sleep-deprived blur. Concentrate, concentrate. Ok, here we go:

We hit the Rio for a while, but the side games were slim and the waits were huge. Got on the $2-$5 PLO list. It never moved. Saw various poker celebrities -- Phil Hellmuth, Joe Hachem, John Juanda, Cindy Violette, etc. etc. ad nauseum. Exchanged head-nods with Barry Greenstein in the hall. Yeah that's how I roll.

For some reason we spent most of our playing time at the Orleans. Off-strip, lots of ambient smoke and super-nitty septuagenarians -- I have no idea what we were thinking. Something to do with my perverse fascination with limit Omaha/8, since the Orleans is one of the few places that spreads it regularly. I booked modest wins in our first couple of sessions there. Then I dropped almost $300 in a 14-FRICKIN-HOUR all-night marathon. Why, why?

We also squeezed in a couple high-rollin' $1-$2 NL HE sessions at Caeser's and MGM. Dropped $70 at Caesar's; won $750 at MGM. The MGM session was highlighted by a drunk LAG who burned through five or six buy-ins in two hours. Napalm bought him a $25 scotch to keep him at the table. We were feeling so good afterwards that we went back to the Orleans so that I could donate $150 to the cranky old nits before heading to the airport.

One final tip: if you're trying to get from Paris to Caesar's, don't take the monorail.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home