liquid

Monday, August 15, 2005

Gesundheit

liquid's YTD: $2061.69

I finally caved into pressure from Napalm and sat in a few tourneys. First up was yesterday morning's $30+$3 PLO tournament on Hollywood, which attracted all of 34 entrants. With a dearth of starting hands, I scraped my way to the first break in 12th and last place. However, I still had a borderline-respectable (about 9BB) stack and was determined to push at any opportunity, since only the top five positions paid. I didn't have to wait long. The first hand after the break, I picked up a smattering of high cards (something along the lines of KQT8) in the big blind, jammed pre-flop, pushed all-in on a K and rags flop, and managed to double up with two pair. The very next hand I picked up AKxx double-suited in the SB. The same foe I just doubled through raised pot and I pushed. He showed AAxx rainbow, the board blanked, and I was out. If I'd managed to take that pot I would had an above-average stack going into the final table. Oh well.

Naplam is right, tournaments are fun. Immediately after busting out I started jumping into $10+$1 SNGs, which hold little promise cash-wise but do have some entertainment value. I've sat in six of them since yesterday, placing 4th, 4th, 2nd, 2nd, 4th, and 1st. Considering the soft opposition and some poor decisions by hero, these results aren't much to be proud of. The last SNG was the only one where I managed to build a decent stack early, flopping the nuts with a redraw and somehow managing to get two thin-drawing foes all-in. Wow. Thereafter I was able to clobber the table, taking out every foe except for one. A big stack makes a big difference.

So I spent $99 on seven small tourneys, cashed in three, and turned a whopping $11 profit. Good practice and good fun, but by contrast, I also squeezed in two one-hour ring game sessions and won $70.

It's been a relaxing change of pace though. Last week I was three-tabling for two or three hours each night, and the cumulative effect didn't feel very healthy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home