liquid

Monday, May 02, 2005

Adapt Or Die

liquid's YTD: $827.87

The Party Poker Pot-Limit Omaha adventure continues. After a very brief profit at the outset, I ran in mud for a while before sinking like a brick. The past week has seen a slight uptick, as I've managed to scrape together six consecutive nights of short sessions and small profits. A few adjustments have helped.

For better or worse, I'm not hurling myself into pots like I was before. An example: a few nights ago I limped in UTG with AAxx. The flop came A86r, and I was prepared to pot it. However, the big blind put in a half-pot bet. During my downslide this is exactly a scenario where I would have re-raised with a pot-sized bet. But this time I considered: There were still several players to my left to act. A re-raise would likely push everyone else out. Was this still-small pot really worth it? So instead I called, my plan being to get a few overcalls and then put in a pot-sized bet or raise on any non-straight-completing turn. And even though no one cooperated with my plan -- I got no overcalls, the turn was a nine, the big blind potted it, and I folded -- I was happy with my decisions. (My only regret was failing to raise pre-flop, a weak play that likely kept the big blind in with a hand he might have otherwise folded. I still struggle with raising pre-flop in early position.)

This is not to say I've become a total rock. I'm finally getting a feel for what these Party Poker folks are doing. Tonight I played for about 40 minutes and won pots with a sustained bluff, a semi-bluff raise on the turn, a hard push with just top pair, and an aggressive bluff with a lone Qd on a 9d3sAdKdJd board. On the flip side, the one time I had a legitimate hand (nut straight), it cost me $0.97 when an identical hand insisted on feeding the rake. Go figure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home