liquid

Thursday, May 12, 2005

A Push Apropos

liquid's YTD: $843.31

Instead of raving/ranting about my own sublime/moronic play, I'm going to highlight a clever isolation move used by a foe this evening.

$50 PL Omaha Hi (Real Money)

Seat 2: PoorBastard (BB, $18.8)
Seat 7: CleverMonkey (MP2, $50)
Seat 9: Hero (CO, $49.25)
CleverMonkey posts big blind [$0.5].

** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [4c 2c Ac Ah]
UTG calls [$0.5].
UTG+1, UTG+2, MP1 fold.
CleverMonkey checks.
MP3 folds.
Hero raises [$1.5].
Button, SB fold.
PoorBastard calls [$1].
UTG folds.
CleverMonkey calls [$1].

** Dealing Flop ** [7s, 9c, 8c]
PoorBastard checks.
CleverMonkey checks.
Hero checks.


Maybe a weak check, but I decide not to risk my free card against these foes. And sure enough, they both wake up on the turn:

** Dealing Turn ** [5s]
PoorBastard bets [$5].
CleverMonkey raises [$20].
Hero folds.
PoorBastard is all-In.

** Dealing River ** [3c]
CleverMonkey shows [8d, 7c, Jc, 6h] a flush, jack high.
PoorBastard doesn't show [6c, Th, Ks, As] a straight, six to ten.
CleverMonkey wins $2.7 from side pot #1 with a flush, jack high.
CleverMonkey wins $37.9 from the main pot with a flush, jack high.


I love CleverMonkey's raise here, even though he's a 67-32 dog to PoorBastard's made straight. CleverMonkey has some good draws, but a call would be a terrible mistake, since then I'd call as well with my nut flush draw. So he forces me out, thereby adding a live flush draw to his gutshot straight draw and full house draw. Once I fold, CleverMonkey gets a chunk of his raise back since PoorBastard has only $12 left. And if PoorBastard were just making a move, CleverMonkey's raise would have picked up the pot right away.

Kudos to CleverMonkey for doing a better job than Hero at considering the stack sizes in play. If I were feeling feisty and wanted two chances at my flush outs, I could have bet enough on the flop to let PoorBastard push all-in or close to it. If CleverMonkey re-raises (which he may have done anyway), I'd have to fold. But if CleverMonkey passes I get my nine outs twice for one low price.

1 Comments:

Blogger napalm said...

I would have moved in after the flop, hit an ace on the turn, went all in, and get busted on the river by both players.

Napalm

7:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home