napalm

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

When Good Plays Go Bad

Napalm's YTD: $12,848.48

I guess this is "just poker" as they say. But sometimes those words just aren't enough. You know that time when you make the perfect read then the perfect play on some unsuspecting bonehead? Then to your horror, they hit the only card(s) they need to crush your dreams? Yeah, you know what I'm talking about. It happens to all of us. Well last night, it happened to me twice in 1 hour.

I am playing in a $20 multi NLHE on Stars with about $4000 in chips. There are about 300 people left. I am on the button with Ah7h, the action is passed to me and I raise three times the BB. SB folds, and BB reraises another unit, a typical play for this loose aggressive. I call due to my position and the possibility I have the best hand.

The flop is 2 7 Q no hearts. I LOVE this flop because I am almost sure I have BB beat at this point. If he reraised with a lower pair, the board scares him. If he reraised with AK and wants to make a play with it, he is in big trouble. If he is trapping me, so be it, the size of his check raise will probably let me know. BB checks and I bet about half the pot to make it look like a standard continuation bet, hoping to get reraised for more information. Of course, the BB bet half of his stack, about double the pot.

Now I have my information. The size of the bet was a tell that the flop must have missed his hand. Such a big check raise from loose aggressive player usually means he missed his flop. It is the small check raise that I worry about. So I put BB on AK or something to that effect. If he has AQ, he would not have bet his stack, he must be on a bluff.

So, I reraise all in. And to my horror, he calls. For that 2 seconds before I saw his cards I was sure I was beat, but to my delight, he flipped over AK. Yahoo! PERFECT read and perfect play. He effectively has 3 outs and I am on the road to double up city.

Turn is an Ace. Not a real problem. Gives him 3 more outs for a total of 6. Three kings and three queens.

Then of course, the Q hits on the river making the board 2 7 Q A Q, counterfeiting my two pair and letting his K kicker beat me. Bad play rewarded, oh well.

That is poker......

and poker can kiss my round ass.

As a side note, the second bad beat was a fish I sucked into going all in with 10 10 against my AA when the flop was 6 3 2. Of course, a 10 hit on the river. This was a $1 multi I played out of spite for the first bad beat in the $20.

1 Comments:

Blogger liquid said...

Note that when he called, he said (likely aloud, and perhaps to the darkness of his mother's basement), "LET'S GAMBLE," whereas when you pushed all-in, you said nothing. You have a lot to learn about poker.

9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home